March 1, 2010

Get Your Kicks at Brix?

Brix Review

There is a new 'Coporate' in Omaha, Brix. Their website, www.brixomaha.com says,
"Shop our retail store where you'll find extraordinary selections." Now, this would
be true if I had went there and found an "extraordinary selection." But I did not.
They offer half the amount of beers that you may find at beertopia, and their selection
of wines are simply not as vast as a large Hy-Vee or Baker's.

What I did find was a new space in Omaha, one that is attempting to wow the money
makers of Western Omaha with their simplistic modern look.
I do think that Western Omaha has been in need of a wine shop/cellar. However, I don't think this was the most appropriate choice. Easy, yes, appropriate and personal, no.
In order to say they have an extraordinary selection, they had to really wow me. Instead, when I walked in, the first items I saw were no better or worse than what you may find at the extensive selection of the Hy-Vee on 51st and West Center Rd.
This isn't to say the store didn't have its "ups."

The feel was very open and airy. When you walk in there are
carts available, more like an Applejacks of Colorado. They do offer a lot if you
are looking to host a party of some sort. They have a cheese section, liquor, beer,
and wine. I stood for about five minutes looking for a Goat cheese until
I finally had to ask an employee to point out the sections of cheese because the labels
were lost among the assortments.

I, personally, prefer to spend my time at Dundee's Cork & Bottle, Wine121, or
the CorkScrew.
While I love wine, beer, food, and cheese, I mostly enjoy something that is warm, personal,
intimate, and raw. If I want something corporate with a selection, I will simply run to Hy-Vee whereI know my prices are very competitive.

No comments:

Post a Comment